Monday, September 27, 2010

Bev Does BHam


Did that all just happen? Time flew by, as it tends to do - especially when you're having fun, during my mom's weeklong visit to the great Pacific Northwest. More specifically: YurtTown, USA. In the 5 years I've lived in Washington (an anniversary marked in just a few days), my mom has made her way across the country to visit each year and each home - 5 different homes now. In fact, it was 5 years ago that the two of us hopped into Donna-Jo, my old Honda Accord, and road-tripped it out here to move me into my first post-college apartment (4047!) for my first post-college job with EarthCorps.

But that's ancient history.

This year my mom and I once again made sure to "squeeze the juice out" of our time together. We woke up each morning in the yurt with no agenda, but tons of possibilities. We went on walks and picked the blueberries that would grace our morning pancakes. We met up with friends, some new and some of the 2005 vintage, for delicious dinners and equally delicious conversation. We weeded the garden and entertained the chickens, went to the beach and read Still Life with Woodpecker to each other. We celebrated the coming of Fall without lamenting the passing of Summer.

When I woke up Sunday morning, there was once again the expanse of this ridiculously wide country between the two of us. And while I might have spent some time feeling badly about that, my mom's reminders to "make lemonade" got me back on track. So happy we got to share time and space together. Till next time.



Horseshoes at Cama Beach.


Pancake breakfast with the last of the season's blueberries.







Riverside Interpretive Dance.







No comments:

Post a Comment